Case study: Australasian Aquaculture Conference
(click on images at left to see in larger view)
Related areas of service: Media Relations; Events
Font PR was approached in 2010 to assist in the promotion of the annual Australian Aquaculture conference to be held inHobart, due to its previous work within the aquaculture industry in Tasmania.
Font devised a media plan in the lead-up to the conference, which included the following activities:
- Promoting the conference to the media by way of media releases, starting 5 months out from the conference.
- Phone meetings with the Executive Committee and Communications Committee on a regular basis.
- Compiling a list of newspapers, magazines, and organisations to contact regarding the conference.
- Organising a launch of the conference and associated food, media, etc.
- Arranging delivery of aquaculture produce to radio and TV stations and key newspaper journalists, accompanied by an invitation to the launch event.
- Preparing editorial content where appropriate.
- Liaising with relevant media outlets. Completing media releases on a regular basis and generating stories around people attending the conference.
During the four-day conference, Font distributed several media releases a day to local, national and international media and websites on topics covered by speakers, accessed information on speakers and then interviewed speakers who were of interest and ensured copies of presentations were available to promote the industry and provide a source for media releases. Font also attended certain presentations from which topical stories could be sourced and took photos at the conference opening to be used for articles on the conference website.
The Conference and Trade Show received a significant amount of media coverage, including:
- 12 Newspaper stories- 6 in The Mercury, 3 in The Examiner, 2 in The Advocate and 1 in The Age (national)
- Online coverage from AAP MediaNet, WA Fish eNews, ABC Country Hour (25 May, 26 May & 8 June), ABC 93.6, Senior School Blog and Fishnewseu.com
- Radio coverage from ABC 93.6 (8 March, 24 May & 26 May), ABC Radio National (24 & 25 May), ABC Tasmanian Country Hour (2 x 24 May & live recording and interviews from the event) and Tasmanian Broadcasters
- Television coverage from Southern Cross News (20, 23, 24 & 25 May), WIN Television (20 & 24 May) and ABC News (24 & 25 May).
The Chair of the Australasian Aquaculture Conference, Roy Palmer, contacted Font after the conference had concluded to extend his congratulations for the significant time and effort invested by the Font team.
“Never before in the history of Australasian Aquaculture has this much media attention been received. We were exceptionally happy with your efforts and would like to congratulate you and the Font PR team. Well done! Roy Palmer – Chair Australasia Aquaculture 2010